Disability and learning support

The departure point for Halmstad University is that everyone should have an equal opportunity to study at the university. If you have a disability that presents an obstacle in your studies, you can receive learning support during your studies. The learning support shall provide you with the conditions to achieve the intended learning outcomes – the goals for the education that apply to all students.

Entitlement to learning support

You must be able to substantiate your disability with a certificate from an expert, such as a doctor or speech therapist, in order to be entitled to learning support.

A disability may include reading and writing difficulties/dyslexia, mental and neuropsychiatric disabilities, hearing impairment, visual impairment, mobility impairment or other chronic illnesses. The support available to you depends on what kind of obstacle your disability entails in your studies. The support is planned and designed in consultation with the student.

Academic requirements

Your skills are assessed based on the same requirements that apply to other students on your course:

  • The intended course learning outcomes must be achieved for you to receive a passing grade.
  • You must independently acquire knowledge and demonstrate this in relation to the intended course outcomes.
  • You must be able to understand new research findings within your subject area as all education at university level contains elements that prepare for research.
  • Education at a higher education institution also involves being able to read articles and course literature in English.

Support for students with a disability

The forms of learning support mentioned in the list below are the most common, but there can also be other forms. In the conversation with the coordinator, you can discuss what forms of support could be appropriate for you.

Adaptation and support during examination (written exam)

  • Extended writing time
  • Technical aids, for example, a computer with speech synthesis software (read function)
  • Possibility of writing the exam in a separate room

In order for you to receive the support you have been granted during the hall exam, you must notify the examination service of this no later than two weeks before the exam date, and register for the exam in Student Ladok. You provide notification of the support measure on a form you receive from the administrator for students with disabilities, in conjunction with receiving the support decision. You then send the form via e-mail to the University.

Send the exam notification to: tentamen@hh.se

Adaptation of examination format

This means that you can take an oral exam instead of a written exam, or vice versa. All adaptation of the examination format is decided by the examiner, who makes the decision based on the intended learning outcomes for the course. It is always the examiner on the course who decides on the possible adjustments, based on the intended course learning outcomes.

Sign language interpreter and writing interpreter

The university is responsible for providing a sign language interpreter or writing interpreter during classes for individuals who are deaf or hearing-impaired. If you need interpreter assistance, notify the administrator for learning support in good time before the start of the course, and preferably when registering for a course or programme.

Assistance with taking notes

Receiving assistance with taking notes entails having a “co-student” taking notes during lectures and seminars, which are then made available to you. Sometimes, the co-student can also go through the notes and explain them. The student taking the notes is compensated for their work.


Sometimes the disability can mean that you require personal support. A mentor can provide support in the planning and structuring of the studies for students with a mental or neuropsychiatric disability. Mentoring is carried out in these cases by a teacher or another student. The possibility of receiving this support depends on there being a suitable mentor available.

Course literature on adapted media

You can receive your course literature as a talking book, e-textbook, Braille or with enlarged text. At the University library you can find more information and help with adapted course literature.

University Library

Apply for learning support

To be granted learning support, you must first submit an application. You must apply well in advance so that there is time to prepare the support before the semester starts. You can apply directly after receiving your admission decision!





Do you have any questions?