Just got admitted for studies at Halmstad University? Congratulations! Before arriving in Sweden there are a few important things you need to sort out in order to be able to start your studies.
Tuition fee payment
As a student from outside the EU/EEA and Switzerland, one of the first things you need to do when being admitted to Halmstad University is to pay the tuition fee.
All students from non-EU/EEA countries have to apply for a residence permit/visa. You should start the application process as soon as you have been granted admission and paid the tuition fee to the university.
Requirements to be granted a residence permit
- Granted admission to full-time studies
- Comprehensive health insurance that covers the whole period you are in Sweden if you plan to study for less than one year
- Ablility to support yourself for the planned study period
- A valid passport
For further information, please visit the Swedish Migration Agency website. The Swedish Migration Agency decides whether student visas are granted or denied, Halmstad University can not assist you with any questions regarding the residence permit.
If you are admitted to a course/programme of one year or less, you need to confirm that you have a comprehensive health insurance to obtain a student visa. The admisson letter (notification of selection results) confirms that you are covered by a health insurance from the university. If you apply through the Migration Agency web application, you can attach your admission letter as proof of health insurance.
Application form details
You will need to fill out the following information about Halmstad University on the application form:
- Educational establishment (contact person): Halmstad University
- Address: Halmstad University, PO Box 823, SE-301 18 Halmstad, Sweden
- Phone +46 35 16 71 00
- Email address: email@example.com
- Course/programme: state the course or programme you have been admitted to
Below you can find the dates for the upcoming academic years.
One semester (30 credits): 2019-09-02 to 2020-01-19
One year programme (60 credits): 2019-09-02 to 2020-06-07
Two year programme (120 credits): 2019-09-02 to 2021-06-06
The mandatory introduction meeting for international programme students and exchange students is on August 28, 2019. Please make sure that you are able to attend the meeting.
As soon as you are admitted to a programme or a course at Halmstad University it is important that you register for accomodation.
As an admitted student you will receive an email with information regarding accommodation options, pick-up service, rent, application deadlines and payment instructions.
All student accommodation in Halmstad is organised by the Student Union. For more information on how to register, please contact them directly.
Please note, the Student Union only support accommodation for admitted students. If you are bringing your family and need a different accomodation option, you are responsible for organising this yourself.
Cost of living
All students, regardless of whether or not you are required to pay application and tuition fees, must be able to cover your personal living expenses while in Sweden, in order to get a residence permit.
All students with a student residence permit/visa are allowed to work in Sweden during the student residence permit period.
Please do not depend on working to support yourself during your study period as it is very difficult to find available part-time jobs. Many employers require Swedish language skills, and depending on your university workload, it may be difficult for you to commit to work outside of studies.
A part-time job can ease your financial situation and be enjoyable, but the amount of money you earn will not be enough for you to live on or to pay tuition fee. You have to organise the finances before you come here. This is also required for you to be granted a residence permit.
The regulations regarding health insurance differ depending on which country you are from and for how long your are studying in Sweden. Please read carefully below to get guidance regarding your personal situation.
When you have received your Swedish personal ID number, you should change your student ID number (ex. 19870102-T123) to the Swedish personal ID number at Servicecenter. You need to bring your Swedish ID card and your passport.
Travel to Halmstad
In order for you to find your way to Halmstad, we have put together some advice on how to travel from the closest airports.
When making travel arrangements you can choose to fly either to Copenhagen Airport, Copenhagen(Denmark), Landvetter Airport, Gothenburg(Sweden), or to Arlanda Airport, Stockholm(Sweden). Copenhagen is much closer to Halmstad, and from there you can take the train straight from the airport to Halmstad. Gothenburg is also fairly close, from there you can take a bus or a train from the city centre to Halmstad.
Stockholm is rather far from Halmstad, but some students may still prefer to arrive in Stockholm.
Make sure to have your admission letter ready at the border control together with your passport and residence permit.
From Kastrup Airport
- Train: travel from Copenhagen Airport to Halmstad C
- Bus: travel from Kastrup Terminal 2 to Halmstad Regionbussterminal
From Landvetter Airport
- Train: Take the Airport Coachfrom Landvetter Airport to the Central Station, Nils Ericsson Terminal, downtown Gothenburg. Then you take the train from Gothenburg to Halmstad.
- Bus: Take the Airport Coachfrom Landvetter Airport to the Central Station, Nils Ericsson Terminal, downtown Gothenburg. Then you take the bus from Gothenburg, Nils Ericsson Terminalen to Halmstad Regionbussterminal.
From Arlanda Airport
- You can take the long distance train to Halmstad: travel from Arlanda C to Halmstad C. You will have to change trains somewhere along the route.
- Or you can take the Arlanda Express Trainor the Airport Shuttle to Stockholm Central Station. From there you can take a train to Halmstad. Travel from Stockholm C to Halmstad C. You may have to change trains somewhere along the route.
- You can also travel by bus via Gothenburg. Travel from Stockholm Cityterminal to Nils Ericson Terminalen and then from there to Halmstad Regionbussterminal.