Den här sidan är utskriven från Högskolan i Halmstads webbplats ( Texten uppdaterades senast den 2018-01-16. Besök webbplatsen om du vill vara säker på att läsa den senaste versionen.

Doctoral education in Information Technology


The doctoral degree programme is equivalent to four years' full-time study. After two years of full-time studies a licentiate degree can be pursued.

A doctoral student is normally involved in teaching and other administrative activities to a maximum of 20% of total work time. The other 80% is then dedicated to the doctoral education. This means that at 80%, a licentiate degree can be taken within two and a half years, and a PhD within five years.

In terms of credit, the licentiate degree corresponds to a total of 120 credits, out of which 30 to 40 must be course credits. The doctoral degree corresponds to a total of 240 credits, out of which 60 to 80 must be course credits. The remaining credits correspond to research work.

The courses are divided into three categories:

Compulsory courses (12 credits) 
Halmstad University offers a mandatory introductory course at the postgraduate level of 7.5 points. This course contains elements of ethics, pedagogy and philosophy of science.
The research environment EIS also offers several 1.5-point courses about current research projects in Information Technology. These courses may vary from year to year. Students must take 3 such courses.

General courses
In this category courses that prepare the student to complete his/her studies and duties are included. These courses aim at developing special skills and abilities in e.g. scientific communication. The courses can be given at Halmstad University or at other institutions. These courses will comprise up to 7.5 credits for a licentiate degree and a maximum of 18 credits for a PhD degree.

Individual studies
Together with the supervisors the student decides on which other courses to include in the Individual Study Plan (ISP) that is found on the Guidelines and forms webpage. These courses vary among subject specific or other courses needed for the thesis, and shall comprise a total of at least 10.5 credits for a licentiate degree and a minimum of 30 credits for a doctoral degree.

In addition, the graduate school organizes an annual conference for all doctoral students working in the Embedded and Intelligent Systems research environment (EIS). The main purpose with this conference is to contribute to the doctoral students' development as researcher, therefore, participation in this conference is required for all students.

The conference is an opportunity for the doctoral student to present results and plans for the thesis, to discuss research questions and ways to approach them. It's organized by the doctoral students and they shall also take on the responsibility for  reviewing submitted papers. The reviewing is only meant to give experience and to get  feedback, not to exclude. At least one senior researcher within the research environment is invited to take part in the review process. No paper is officially published. The conference takes place in early spring.

We also organize an annual meeting for all graduate students working in the research environment to examine issues dealing with research training and career after graduation. This meeting takes place at the beginning of the fall semester.

It is the student's and the supervisor's responsibility to use the Individual Study Plan (ISP) that is found on the Guidelines and forms webpage to frame goals, plans and success criteria for the supervised research. The ISP is followed up every year or, if desired, every semester.

Updated 2018-01-16